The Kulturweg between Ausserberg and Raron
Combine hiking with culture
The “Kulturweg” – or “Culture Trail” – is the name of the ancient path between Ausserberg and Raron. This link route is of cultural and historical significance. In earlier centuries, before the valley had been drained and the River Rotten had been dammed, this was the only navigable path along the Rhone Valley.
Availability Today (Monday) open
The trail is accessible all year round.
In extremely stormy conditions, you can check the condition of the Kulturweg path at the Raron-Niedergesteln tourist office.Subject to change without prior notice
The Kulturweg has been preserved as a natural path to this day and is an extremely popular hiking trail for families and nature-lovers, for history buffs, wine aficionados and anyone who appreciates the poet Rilke. The trail is accessible all year round except in the most severe winter conditions. It is part of the main hiking trail network of Switzerland and passes through a highly varied natural, cultural and sacred landscape.
The Kulturweg between Ausserberg and Raron has appeal for families and nature-lovers, those interested in history and those who appreciate the poet Rilke. It’s also ideal for wine aficionados and anyone who wants to learn more about the canton of Valais.
From Ausserberg Railway Station, the path heads west, past the place known as “Chalchofu”, towards St. German. Between St. German and Raron, the path is wider and easier to follow, as the many sun-loving walkers who use it can testify. After approximately one hour, the path reaches the cliff-top church of St. Roman in the village of Raron, where a museum and the grave of the poet Rainer Maria Rilke can be found.
- Duration: approx. 1½ hrs.
- Good footwear is recommended.
- Guided walks along the Kulturweg are also possible. For further information, contact the Raron-Niedergesteln tourist office.
Food & drink
- There are no barbecue facilities available, but in all of the villages en route (Ausserberg, St. German and Raron) there are good options for dining in restaurants.
- There is a nice playground with picnic tables near Raron Railway Station.
- The DVD “Der Kulturweg – Momentaufnahmen und Impressionen am Kulturweg und einiges mehr” (“The Kulturweg – snapshots and impressions along the Kulturweg and more besides”) can be purchased from the Raron tourist office for CHF 20.00.
- A large selection of wines from the region
- Franz Salzgeber & Söhne, 3942 St. German, +41 27 934 34 10
- Germanus Familie Edgar Schmid, 3942 St. German, +41 27 934 11 85
- Rilkeweine Alfred Kalbermatter, 3942 Niedergesteln-Raron, +41 27 934 26 48
Weather & webcam Today: fair weather 1/10°