Compensation in the event of delays on public transport
Your train was delayed and you therefore arrived at your destination at least one hour late?
Then you are entitled to compensation and you will be refunded part of the price of your ticket or season ticket. The amount of compensation depends on the fare paid and the length of the delay.
Amount of compensation
|60 minutes at minimum||25% of your ticket price|
|120 minutes at minimum||50% of your ticket price|
Entschädigungsbeträge unter CHF 5.00 werden nicht ausbezahlt.
For a delay of 60 minutes or more, you will receive the pro rata daily value of your travelcard or CHF 5.00 (whichever is higher).
Other rights in the event of delays
- If your journey can no longer fulfil your purpose for travelling due to a delay or cancellation, you do not have undertake the journey and can have the price of your ticket refunded
- If you have missed your connection due to a delay or cancellation, you may continue the journey to your destination with no additional payment – even if this means taking a different route to get there.
- If your journey can no longer fulfil your purpose for travelling due to a delay or cancellation, you may put a stop to your journey and have the price of your ticket refunded..
- You will be provided with food and drink proportionate to your waiting time, so long as this is available at the station or on the vehicle or able to be delivered.
- If you have to find accommodation for one or more nights due to a cancellation or delay, you are entitled to the cost of a hotel room and the transport between the hotel and the station and back again.
- If you can no longer reach your destination on the same day, the transport companies will cover the costs of your accommodation.
- You have no entitlement to the covering of costs of accommodation, if the transport company is not responsible for the delay or cancellation in question. For example, this applies in the event of delays or cancellations resulting from natural disasters.
- You have no entitlement to the covering of costs arising from subsequent damages, for example, if you miss a flight or concert due to a delay or cancellation.
FAQ Passenger Rights
- When and how do I receive compensation for delays?
- Am I entitled to compensation if I have a travelcard?
- Am I entitled to compensation if I miss my PostBus or boat connection because of a delay?
- What rights do I have as a passenger in case of delays or cancellations?
- Where can I find my ticket number?
- How long do I have to lodge my claim?