BLS Ltd facts and figures
BLS is the largest independent private railway company in Switzerland. The company operates on behalf of seven cantons. BLS regards itself as an innovative and ambitious provider of mobility services.
The Board of Directors
- Ueli Dietiker (born 1953, CH), Dipl. Statutory Auditor Chairman of the Board of Directors since 10/12/2020, member of the Board of Directors since the Annual General Meeting of 13/5/2014
- Viviana Buchmann-Tosi (born 1953, CH), Board of Directors mandates & projects, EMBA FHZ/HSLU Vice Chairwoman since 10/12/2020, member of the Board of Directors since the Annual General Meeting of 11/5/2017, chairwoman of the Finance and Audit Committee
- Renate Amstutz Bettschart (born 1959, CH), lic. rer. pol. Member since the Annual General Meeting of 28/5/2009, member of the Remuneration Committee
- Bernhard Antener (born 1958, CH), advocate ** Member, representative of the Canton of Bern since 1/6/2018, member of the Remuneration Committee
- Lorenz Bösch (born 1961, CH), degree in Agricultural Engineering (university of applied sciences – FH) Member of the Board of Directors since the Annual General Meeting of 15/5/2012, Chairman of the Remuneration Committee
- Martin Bütikofer (born 1961, CH), Dipl. Industrial Engineering FH Member of the Board of Directors since the Annual General Meeting of 13/5/2014, member of the Finance and Audit Committee
- Stefanie Zimmermann (1977, CH), business economist ** Member, representative of the Canton of Valais since 13.03.2019, member of the Finance and Audit Committee
- Yvette Koerber (1973, CH), business economist, MBA Zürich Member of the Board of Directors since the Annual General Meeting of 11/5/2021
- Kurt Bobst (1965, CH), business consultant, federal dipl. accountant/controller Member of the Board of Directors since the Annual General Meeting of 11/5/2021
The Executive Board
- Dirk Stahl (born 1966, CH), Dr. rer. pol. Chairman of the Executive Board (since 2020), Managing Director of BLS Cargo Ltd, member of the Executive Board (since 2000)
- Daniel Wyder (born 1972, CH), Dipl. Bauing. (Civil Engineering) ETH, NDS (postgraduate studies) Wirtschaftsing. (Industrial Engineering) FH Vice Chairman of the Executive Board ad interim, Head of Infrastructure (since 2010)
- Daniel Hofer (1982, CH), Master International Relations, Executive MBA Head of Passenger Transport (since 2018)
- Thomas Stupp (born 1968, CH), Dipl. Civil Engineer ETH Zurich Head of Railway Operations (since 2019)
- Jean-Marc Leutenegger (1965, CH), Dr. rer. pol., Executive MBA Rochester-Bern Head of Information Technology (since 2020)
- Luca Baroni (born 1971, CH, ITA), Dipl. Betriebsökonom (Business Economy) FH/HWV, Executive MBA (HSG) Head of Management Services (since 2017)
- Horst Johner (born 1971, CH), Head of Human Resources FH Head of Human Resources (since 2020)
BLS Netz AG
BLS Netz AG builds, operates and maintains BLS's railway infrastructure. This includes, for example, a 420-kilometre network of railway lines, 118 stations and the Lötschberg base tunnel. BLS Netz AG is responsible for the operational management of the entire Lötschberg axis from Gümligen to Domodossola.
- Swiss Federal Government: 50.05 per cent
- BLS Ltd: 33.4 per cent
- Canton of Bern: 16.5 per cent
- SBB: 0.05%
BLS Cargo Ltd
BLS Cargo Ltd provides freight transport services on the central north-south axis corridor through Switzerland. BLS Cargo operates out of Switzerland and together with strong partners, it offers complete freight transport services from the North Sea to the Mediterranean.
- BLS Ltd: 52%
- SNCF Logistics: 45%
- Ambrogio: 3%
BLS Immobilien AG
Over the next few years, BLS Immobilien AG will be planning the further development of various rail properties, and will also build and operate new facilities. Here, the company is focusing on close cooperation with the communities and other interest groups and stakeholders in the various locations where such development activities will take place. BLS Immobilien AG will make optimal use of scarce space in the centres of towns and cities and link mobility with state-of-the-art service and shopping centres and community meeting places.
BLS Ltd owns 100 per cent % of BLS Immobilien AG.
Busland AG operates a bus network in Emmental and Oberaargau that covers more than 200 kilometres and consists of 18 separate lines. The company is headquartered in Burgdorf and has additional depots in Langnau in Emmental and in Sumiswald and Huttwil. With its Ilfis Garage in Langnau, Busland AG also operates a service centre for commercial vehicles.
BLS Ltd owns 86 per cent of Busland AG.
BLS long-distance traffic Ltd
BLS long-distance traffic Ltd oversees BLS’s long-distance operations. BLS operates individual long-distance lines on behalf of SBB. It uses its own trains and train drivers on these lines, and bears full responsibility in terms of revenue, quality and cost.
BLS Ltd is the sole shareholder of BLS long-distance traffic Ltd.