Cross-country skiing in Kandersteg
From the short, easy trail to the challenging panoramic trail, every visitor will find the right route for them.
Kandersteg is one of the best-known destinations in the Bernese Oberland when it comes to Nordic skiing, and offers a network of trails that is as diverse as it is exciting: from flat, broad valley bottoms through to the high-altitude trail at around 2,000 metres above sea-level, there are over 55 kilometres of classic trails and 52 kilometres of skating trails to be explored. Whizzing through the snow-decked forest, past the banks of the burbling River Kander, traversing planes or the upland plateau of Sunnbüel – the magical mountainscape forms an incomparable backdrop to your cross-country adventure.
- Coronavirus notice Please take note of the protection plan and any restrictions set by the provider.
The Kandersteg trails
- 3 km Classic (blue signposts, “Herzloipe” Classic cross-country ski course, signposted)
An easy trail that leads along the River Kander. It is ideal for the leisurely cross-country skier wanting to enjoy the landscape.
- 5 km Classic & Skating (red signposts)
A Nordic circular trail which, at its half-way point, leads past the northern Lötschberg approach. Slight inclines and descents give the trail its particular appeal.
- 7 km Classic & Skating (green signposts, of which 5 km of the Classic and Skating routes are marked as the “Herzloipe”)
The trail leads up the village towards Kandersteg and to the ski jump, and is a beautiful circular route that is also suitable for skaters. Those who wish to can take the “Oeschigässli” shortcut.
- 10 km Classic & Skating (black signposts)
This challenging trail is suitable for athletic cross-country skiers. The Oeschiwald in winter and the incline towards Höhwald are challenging.
- 14 km “Höh” panoramic trail, Classic & Skating (yellow signposts)
The route includes the diverse trails surrounding Kandersteg. The highlight is the “Höh” at 1,318 metres above sea level. The trail demands a good level of fitness and confident descent technique.
- 6 km evening trail, Classic & Skating
17.30 to 21.00 hours, illuminated evening trail. Open daily during the winter season. Starting point: Hotel des Alpes
- 8 km Sunnbüel high-altitude trail, Classic & Skating
From the mountain station of the Sunnbüel aerial cableway, the trail leads to the plane of the Spittelmatte. The diverse circular trail leads past farm huts and the Arvenwald forest and back to the vicinity of the ski lift. This route is groomed from Christmas to Easter.
The Kandersteg cross-country season pass is also valid in Lötschental.
Grossen Sport, phone +41 33 675 00 16, e-mail email@example.com
Käthy Sport & Mode, phone +41 33 675 16 09
Trail starting point with changing room
Hotel Des Alpes
Availability Today (Wednesday) open
Please observe the current trail report.
Cross-country passes, Kandersteg
- CHF 140.00 Season pass, Switzerland
- CHF 80.00 Season pass, Kandersteg and Lötschental
- CHF 30.00 Week pass, Kandersteg*
- CHF 35.00 Week pass, Kandersteg**
- CHF 8.00 Day ticket, Kandersteg*
- CHF 10.00 Day ticket, Kandersteg**
* With guest ticket
** Without guest ticket
The cross-country passes and day tickets are available from the BLS Travel Centre Kandersteg, the car park of the Hotel des Alpes (the trails’ starting point), the office of Kandersteg Tourismus, in the sports shops, and at various hotels in Kandersteg.
Prices in CHF incl. VAT / Prices and products subject to alteration