Winter hiking at the Gemmi Pass
A winter experience at the historic Gemmi Pass
Amid a magical snow-covered Alpine landscape, this historic pass takes you from Sunnbüel in the Bernese Oberland (at 1,936 m above sea level), past cosy inns and the Daubensee Lake to the Gemmi Pass (2,350 m above sea level) in the canton of Valais. The specially prepared track, which is safe to hike, offers a range of options for discovering and enjoying this unique winter landscape.
Thanks to the ski lifts, you arrive comfortably at 2000 m of altitude and can enjoy the alpine landscape. For the hike from Sunnbüel to the Gemmip pass, there is a special ticket that combines the cable car rides from Kandersteg to Sunnbüel and from the Gemmi pass to Leukerbad.The special ticket can be purchased in the BLS online shop with a 30% discount.
- Coronavirus notice Please take note of the protection plan and any restrictions set by the provider.
Description of the hike
- Distance: 12 km
- Walking time: 3 Hours
- Height difference: 520m uphill, 70m Downhill
- Condition: Winter hiking trail prepared with snow groomers.Snow shoes are not required
- Shortcut: If you have tired legs, you can take a mechanical lift on the last end between the Daubensee and the Gemmi pass
Further winter and snowshoe hike around Sunnbüel
Sunnbüel-SpittelmatteA round trip down from the mountain station Sunnbüel to the hospital mat and back to the starting point via an alpine hut. This medium difficulty snowshoe hike takes about 2.5 hours.
Sunnbüel-StockAn easier snowshoe trail, lasting about 1 hour, leads from the mountain station Sunnbüel to the viewpoint Stock and back to the starting point.
The 1 to 2-hour round trip overlooking the imposing mountain world is perfect for families and other nature lovers.
The starting point is the mountain restaurant Sunnbüel, where you can enjoy culinary delights before or after the hike.
Sunnbüel cable car (Kandersteg):
19 December 2020 to 31 January 2021
1 February to 11 April 2021
The cable car departs every 30 minutes.
Shoulder season winter operating times
12 April to 2 May 2021
Ascents: 08.00, 13.00, 17.00 hours
Descents: 08.10, 13.10, 17.10 hours
Gemmi cable car (Leukerbad)
19 December 2020 to 18 April 2021
The cable cars depart every 30 minutes.
Subject to change without prior notice
Special offer 30% discount
Take advantage of the special offer with a reduction of up 30% cable car ride.
The advantages for you:
- 30% discount on the Kandersteg-Sunnbüel and 30% discount on the Gemmipass-Leukerbad cableway ride
Reduced prices for the Kandersteg-Sunnbüel and Gemmipass-Leukerbad cableway ride
- CHF 35.00 Adults instead of CHF 50.00
- CHF 17.50 Adult with Half-Fare Card instead of CHF 25.00
- CHF 35.20 Adults with GA card instead of CHF 25.00
- CHF 17.50 Children (6 - 15.99 years) instead of CHF 25.00
Can I also buy the special offer offline?
Magic Blue Adventure Pass – 1 ticket, 2 lifts
You can enjoy twice as much fun in the snow with the Magic Blue Adventure Pass. This includes two return journeys by cable car to Lake Oeschinen and to the Gemmi Pass on Sunnbüel.