Travelling with your own bicycle
Load your bicycle yourself or simply send it ahead
Do you want to take your bicycle with you on your travels? As you can either take your bicycle with you directly and load it onto the public transport vehicle yourself, or send it as luggage two days ahead and then travel behind in comfort without being weighed down.
Please note that in times of high demand – and especially in fine weather – we cannot always guarantee the availability of our bicycle-transport service. Thank you for your understanding.
Load your bicycle yourself
Load your bicycle, get on board and disembark wherever your cycling tour begins.
With a valid bike ticket, you can transport your bicycle on all BLS trains and boats, and so reach the starting point of your cycling tour quickly and safely together with your bicycle. Depending on the type of vehicle, our trains, buses and boats have room for two to fourteen bicycles. with pushchairs have priority.
We are happy to help you plan your journey with your bicycle. Below, please find an overview of the most important topics. You can of course also always consult the advisers in our BLS Travel Centres, who will be happy to assist you personally.
- In case of high passenger volumes – which generally happens when the weather is fine – there is unfortunately not always enough space for transporting bicycles.
- In the timetable and on the departure boards, trains without bicycle-transport availability are marked with a symbol; these trains do not have any spaces for bicycles.
- BLS will also transport your bicycle without a reservation. Please note that on board the SBB InterCity trains, a mandatory bicycle-reservation policy is in effect between Friday and Sunday until 31 October. You can find out more about SBB’s mandatory bicycle reservations here. You can also make your reservation at the BLS Travel Centres.
- Please use the screens at the stations to check which sections offer bicycle spaces and then go to the requisite section.
- On the train doors, a pictogram shows you where to find bicycle hooks or platforms for securely stowing bicycles. Please use the mounting fixtures on the train and make sure your bicycle does not block the path of other passengers. You are responsible for your own bicycle during the journey.
- If you are travelling with a group of more than 10 people and bicycles, it is not possible to load the bicycles yourselves. We recommend that you hire them or send them as luggage.
- Every passenger is only allowed to transport one bicycle.
- Children’s trailers and bicycle trailers (max width 60 cm) are classed as a bicycle and require a ticket. Bicycle trailers must be empty when loaded.
- Please allow enough time for boarding and changing trains.
Additional information on this topic can be found here
On the train
Within the BLS zone, limited bicycle-transport capacity is most likely on the Bern–Lucerne, Bern–Spiez–Brig–Domodossola and Spiez–Zweisimmen routes. The best thing to do is check the capacity of the relevant trains in the online SBB timetable before embarking on your journey. This allows you to use less busy trains (e.g. additional trains) for your journey with your bicycle.
In our buses, you can take your bicycle along on the following lines:
- 468 Burgdorf–Heimiswil–Kaltacker(–Lueg)
- 271 Langnau–Signau–Röthenbach(–Chuderhüsi)
- 471 Hasle-Rüegsau–Affoltern-Weier
- 493 Huttwil–Wyssachen
Position your bicycle on the bus’s central platform and keep a firm grip on it during the journey. Busland AG accepts no liability for any damages.
The bicycles are transported in the passenger area and space is therefore limited. During peak times, passengers in wheelchairs or with pushchairs have priority.
Aboard our boats
The self-loading of bicycles is possible to a limited degree. During peak times, passengers in wheelchairs or with pushchairs have priority.
Sending bicycles as luggage
Simply drop off your bicycle as luggage at the railway station. This allows you to travel unhindered and saves you from having to find an empty bicycle compartment.
With a ticket or travelpass valid for the entire route, you can drop off your bicycle at any railway station with a luggage counter and collect it at a railway station of your choice. Bicycles dropped off by 19.00 hours are ready for collection two days later from 9.00 hours.
Groups of 10 people or more must register to send their bicycles as luggage at least 5 working days ahead of departure. Information is available at your railway station or around the clock from Rail Service on +41 (0)848 44 66 88 (CHF 0.08/min.)
- CHF 20.00 Conventional bicycles up to 25 kg
- CHF 30.00 E-bikes up to 25 kg
- CHF 20.00 Bicycle trailers, unloaded, up to 25 kg
- CHF 30.00 Special bicycles such as tandems, reclining bikes, tricycles max. 2.40 L x 0.9 B x 1.1 H m