Travelling with your own bicycle
Load your bicycle yourself or simply send it ahead
Do you want to take your bicycle with you on your travels? Then send it as luggage, preferably two days in advance, from your train station or use the convenient Pick@home service. This way you can travel by public transport with peace of mind and your hands free.
Or take your bike directly with you and load it yourself. Please note, however, that the transport of bicycles cannot always be guaranteed for reasons of space, especially in good weather. Passengers in wheelchairs or with prams have priority. Bicycles cannot be carried on all trains. Please note the relevant information in the online timetable. Thank you for your understanding.
Sending bicycles as luggage
Simply drop off your bicycle as luggage. This allows you to travel unhindered and saves you from having to find an empty bicycle compartment.
At the luggage counter
With a ticket or travelpass valid for the entire route, you can drop off your bicycle at any railway station with a luggage counter and collect it at a railway station of your choice. Bicycles dropped off by 19.00 hours are ready for collection two days later from 09.00 hours.
Prices per vehicle
- CHF 20.00 Bicycles or bicycle trailers max. 2.00 L x 0.8 m W x 1.0 H m, up to 25 kg
- CHF 30.00 E-bikes and special bicycles does not fit into the normal hanging device. max. 2.40 L x 0.9 B x 1.1 H m, up to 25 kg
The new Pick@home service for bikes
With the door-to-door service you can have your bike conveniently collected from your home and shipped to your holiday destination. The offer is valid for postal addresses in Switzerland and the Principality of Lichtenstein.
Groups of 10 people or more must register to send their bicycles as luggage at least five working days ahead of departure. Information is available at your railway station or around the clock from Rail Service on +41 (0)848 44 66 88 (CHF 0.08/min.)
Load your bicycle yourself
Load your bicycle, get on board and disembark wherever your cycling tour begins.
With a valid bike ticket, you can transport your bicycle on all BLS trains and boats, and so reach the starting point of your cycling tour quickly and safely together with your bicycle. Depending on the type of vehicle, our trains, buses and boats have room for two to fourteen bicycles. with pushchairs have priority.
We are happy to help you plan your journey with your bicycle. Below, please find an overview of the most important topics. You can of course also always consult the advisers in our BLS Travel Centres, who will be happy to assist you personally.
Within the BLS zone, limited bicycle-transport capacity is most likely on the Bern–Lucerne, Bern–Spiez–Brig–Domodossola and Spiez–Zweisimmen routes. The best thing to do is check the capacity of the relevant trains in the online SBB timetable before embarking on your journey. This allows you to use less busy trains (e.g. additional trains) for your journey with your bicycle.
On the train doors, a pictogram shows you where to find bicycle hooks or platforms for securely stowing bicycles. Please use the mounting fixtures on the train and make sure your bicycle does not block the path of other passengers.
You can take your bike on all our bus routes.
The following rules apply:
- Wheelchairs and pushchairs have priority.
- The transport of bicycles is limited during peak hours.
- You are responsible for loading your bike.
Aboard our boats
You can transport your bicycle on all boats.
The following rules apply:
- Wheelchairs and prams have priority.
- Depending on the boat used and at peak times, bicycle transport may be restricted.
- You are responsible for loading your bicycle.
- BLS will also transport your bicycle without a reservation.
- You can also make your reservation at the BLS Travel Centres.
- If you are travelling with a group of more than 10 people and bicycles, it is not possible to load the bicycles yourselves. We recommend that you hire them or send them as luggage.
- Every passenger is only allowed to transport one bicycle.
- Children’s trailers and bicycle trailers (max width 60 cm) are classed as a bicycle and require a ticket. Bicycle trailers must be empty when loaded.
Please use the screens at the stations to check which sections offer bicycle spaces and then go to the requisite section.
In the timetable and on the departure boards, trains without bicycle-transport availability are marked with a symbol; these trains do not have any spaces for bicycles.
Please note that on board the SBB InterCity trains, a mandatory bicycle-reservation policy is in effect between Friday and Sunday until 31 October. You can find out more about SBB’s mandatory bicycle reservations here.
- CHF 5.00 Reservation