Gotthelf Centre Lützelflüh
Where Jeremias Gotthelf lived and worked
Find out how Gotthelf lived with his family, where “Uli der Knecht” (Uli the Farmhand) came from, “Die Käserei in der Vehfreude” (The Cheese Factory in the Hamlet), “Anne Bäbi Jowäger”, “The Black Spider” and many others – where he wrote his sermons and letters and discussed and debated with guests. The writer and his era are brought to life. Gotthelf comes alive. You can meet the original here! When you take a group guided tour through all the rooms, led by experts from our museum team, you can look forward to an up-close encounter with the novelist, the man and the preacher who was Jeremias Gotthelf. Passion and enthusiasm are clearly noticeable here.
- up to 70% discount on the train journey to Lützelflüh-Goldbach Travel through Switzerland at the best price. With Supersaver Tickets you can save up to 70% on your connection.
Special exhibition «Die Käserei in der Vehfreude»
Special exhibition: «Die Käserei in der Vehfreude» (“The Cheese Factory in the Hamlet”)
A humorous reflection on village life, Jeremias Gotthelf’s novel “Die Käserei in der Vehfreude” is part of the author’s late work and was published in 1850. Instead of building a new school as the government demands, the locals erect a cheese dairy – it’s modern and promises to be lucrative! Gotthelf addresses the dawn of the modern era, shows how women in particular suffer because of the cheese dairy, and how the farmers get into debt to buy cows. And it is also about the touching story of two lovers. Immerse yourself in the world of the hamlet’s residents, in an age when cheese fever breaks out – and in which people find it difficult to come to terms with the latest developments!
Opening hours Today (Tuesday) open
1 April to 15 November 2020
16 November 2020 to 31 March 2021 closed (Tours for groups available)
Tues–Sun 13.30–17.00 hours
Public holiday opening hours
Open Easter Monday, Ascension Day, Whit Monday and also this year on 1 August
Tours for groups and events for private parties, organisations and companies are available throughout the year subject to advance booking.
Subject to change without prior notice
Individual admission prices
- CHF 10.00 Adults
- CHF 8.00 Retirees, students (with ID)
- CHF 4.00 Children aged 7 and older
Individual admission prices at the group rate
- CHF 10.00 Adults up to 9 people
- CHF 8.00 Adults 10 or more people
- CHF 8.00 Retirees, students (with ID)
- CHF 4.00 School groups* and children aged 7 and over
* per pupil (primary/sec. 1 and 2), vocational schools (up to the age of 20), 1 teacher free
- CHF 140.00 Basic price for a tour (up to 25 people)
- CHF 280.00 Basic price for a tour (26-50 people)
- CHF 420.00 Basic price for a tour (51-75 people)
- Cash payments only.
- We cannot accept payment either by credit card (such as Visa, Mastercard, American Express, etc.) or by debit card (e.g. Maestro, etc.).
- However, the Gotthelf Centre will be happy to issue you with an invoice for guided group tours.
- Raiffeisen members with a personal Maestro card, Mastercard, Visa card or a Maestro young person's card
- Swiss Museum Pass holders
Prices in CHF incl. VAT / Prices and products subject to alteration
Discover exciting and surprising things about the life and works of Jeremias Gotthelf from members of the museum team.
Group tours normally include an introduction to the life and work of Jeremias Gotthelf, a visit to the museum and, if you wish, a sightseeing tour in the nearby area. Tours usually last 1½ hours. Based on experience, it is a good idea to plan at least 2– 2½ hours for your visit.
Languages: Swiss German, German, French, English.
We can put together an interesting programme for your tour to suit your needs.
The offer ranges from tours with coffee and cake or drinks to full-day excursions through the Emmental countryside – on foot, by electric bike or by horse and cart. So you can make use of your tour guides’ expert knowledge.
Getting here – groups
Travel to Lützelflüh-Goldbach at the best price.
With Supersaver Tickets you can save up to 70% on your connection. The earlier you buy a Supersaver Ticket, the cheaper you can travel.
Your savings opportunities
Price example for the route Olten–Lützelflüh-Goldbach one-way, with Half-Fare travelcard:
Normal fare: CHF 10.90
Cheapest offer: CHF 5.00
Search and buy your Supersaver Tickets via the online timetable.
Weather & webcam Today: showers 9/14°