Lötschberg Base Tunnel
Visit this masterpiece of railway engineering
Catch a fascinating glimpse in the mountain: A minibus takes you from Frutigen into the tunnel system, where you can marvel at the Mitholz control centre. Experience the trains pass by – a special window in the tunnel wall ensures you won’t miss a thing. The test track which is to scale and the 320-metre wide intervention stairs at the north portal are also impressive.
Over a few short kilometres, the “Lötschberg Southern Approach” walking trail impressively demonstrates the variety of the BLS mountain line and the special challenges faced when building a railway through the mountains. With the help of your expert guide, the well-established walking trail allows you to get to know BLS in an intimate and vivid way.
You’ll learn fascinating facts about
- the construction of the route from 1906 to 1913,
- the Luogelkin Viaduct and the Bietschtal Bridge,
- the dual-track expansion along the Hohtenn–Ausserberg section,
- the protection against natural hazards and the BLS rail operations in the area.
- Coronavirus Due to the current situation (Covid-19), this offer is not available until further notice.
Availability Available on 19.05.2021
- Wednesday, 27 January 2021 – cancelled
- Wednesday, 17 February 2021 – cancelled
- Wednesday, 17 March 2021 – cancelled
- Wednesday, 14 April 2021 – cancelled
- Wednesday, 19 May 2021
- Wednesday, 9 June / 30 June* 2021
- Wednesday, 7 July* / 14 July* / 21 July* / 28 July* 2021
- Wednesday, 4 August* / 18 August* 2021
- Wednesday, 1 September* / 22 September / 29 September 2021
- Wednesday, 6 October 2021
- Wednesday, 10 November 2021
- Wednesday, 8 December 2021
* Guided tours also in english
The registration is obligatory and only possible against prepayment via our webshop.
For groups of 6 persons or more, the offer can be booked daily on request.
Subject to change without prior notice
- CHF 27.00 Individual tour, per person pro Teilnehmer
Included in the price
- Guided tour
- Mineral water
- Lloan of a helmet and vest
Prices in CHF incl. VAT / Prices and products subject to Alteration / The journey to Frutigen is not included in the Price
BLS Visitor Centre, Obere Bahnhofstrasse 29, 3714 Frutigen
3 hours (13.30–16.30 hours)
Minimum 6 persons, maximum 28 persons
From 12 years, only accompanied by an adult, 12-15 years free of charge, (registration mandatory)
- Sturdy shoes
- Warm clothing
- A helmet, vest and mineral water are provided
- Walking distance in the tunnel: 1.5 kilometres.
Good physical fitness on the part of participants is assumed
(the temperature is 28°, humidity up to 80%)