Frutigen Tropical House
Experience the wonderful greenery
At the foot of the Bernese Alps, there’s a paradise waiting to be discovered – the Frutigen Tropical House. The Alpine water, the fish farm and the tropical gardens – a harmonious trio under one roof, as well as a triply innovative energy concept.
Thanks to the heat generated by the mountain run-off from the Lötschberg Base Tunnel, fish and plants that thrive in warmer climates have been successfully bred in hothouses in Frutigen since 2009. The hothouses in the tropical garden are freely accessible; however, you shouldn’t miss out on a visit to the exhibition, which is subject to an entry fee. Here you will learn in impressive fashion how this green oasis amidst the Alps was created and how the naturally warm water from the Lötschberg is used to grow tropical fruits and produce caviar. There is a special adventure tour for children. At the end, you have the option of purchasing tropical fruits in the shop or of tasting these in the restaurant.
The RegioExpress Lötschberger will bring you to Frutigen in less than 45 minutes, with no changes required. A short walk takes you directly to the Tropenhaus Frutigen.
- Coronavirus notice Please take note of the protection plan and any restrictions set by the provider.
- Special offer with 10% discount Take advantage of 10% discount on the entry fee and20% on the the journey to Frutigen and back
- For families and children The Tropical House of Frutigen has many offers for children
- Timetable & tickets From Bern you arrive in Frutigen in less than 55 minutes
Buy a return journey by public transport and take advantage of the special offer with a reduction of 10% discount on admission to the Tropical House and 20% discount on the journey to Frutigen and back
The advantages for you:
- 10% discount on admission to the Tropical House Frutigen
- 20% discount on the journey to Frutigen and back
Example of a reduced price for admission to the tropical home of Frutigen
- CHF 16.20 Adults instead of CHF 18.00
- CHF 12.15 Students instead of CHF 13.50
- CHF 8.10 Children (6 - 15.99 years) instead of CHF 9.00
- CHF 12.15 Retiree instead of CHF 13.50
Can I also buy the special offer offline?
New! Escape Games at the Tropenhaus Frutigen
This activity is now offered by Tropenhaus Frutigen in cooperation with Live Escape Game Switzerland, the pioneer of the escape game scene in Switzerland with 8 years of market experience and over 50,000 happy visitors.
Experience how the naturally warm water from the Lötschberg is used to grow tropical fruits and to produce real sturgeon caviar. In five thematic worlds, visitors are invited to an interactive exhibition. The topics of water, sturgeon, caviar, pleasure and energy, always in close connection with the events within the tropical house, are animated and communicated in a playful manner, giving the opportunity to learn a lot of new things and to try them out. At the beginning, virtual figures – a groundhog from the region, a sturgeon, a scientist, and a cook – welcome you and guide you through the exhibition.
Hier gedeiht alles, was wertvoll ist: Tiere, Pflanzen und auch Wissen. Das Tropenhaus verlässt man nach jedem Besuch immer etwas schlauer - erst recht nach einer öffentlichen Führung.
Mit dieser Führung erhalten Sie Einblicke in die verschiedenen Bereiche des Tropenhaus Frutigen. Ideal, um danach die Ausstellung und den Tropengarten auf eigene Faust noch selber zu erkunden.
Dauer: 1.5 Stunden
Kosten: CHF 15.- pro Person, exkl. Eintritt in die Ausstellung
Keine Voranmeldung notwendig
- Erlebnisführung Kaffee 19. März und 18. September 2021
- Erlebnisführung Fischpflege und Fütterung 6. August und 5. November 2021
- Verwendung tropischer Naturpflanzen 10. September 2021
- Führung Kerngesund 7. Oktober 2021
- Alles Banane 16. Oktober 2021
- Mit dem Gärtner durch den Tropengarten 21. November 2021
- Guided group tours on request
A tour of the greenhouses enthuses and surprises with the multitude of exotic fruits, spices and plants. Bananas, papayas, mangoes, carambolas, dwarf bananas, guaves, mangosteens, grapefruits, pomegranate apples, avocados, pineapples or kumquats are all over 170 varieties that can be discovered. Different thematic trails lead visitors through greenhouses and allow them to discover a wealth of information on coffee, bananas or spices. Access to the greenhouses is free.
Exhibition, Shop and Tropical Garden
Wednesday - Sunday from 10.00 to 17.30 hours
Restaurant Tropical Garden
Wednesday - Saturday from 10.00 to 23.00 hours
Sunday from 10.00 to 18.00 hours
Table reservation by phone +41 33 672 11 43 or at email@example.com
Please note the special opening hours due to exclusive occasions or closed events.
Company vacations 2021
From 5 July to 25 July 2021
Subject to change without prior notice
With a tropical rainforest, Siberian sturgeon, Alpine caviar and an interactive exhibition entitled "How the fish came to the mountain", at Tropenhaus Frutigen there's always something new to discover. Young and old adventurers alike can learn all sorts of valuable knowledge in a fun way on current topics such as nutrition, the environment and sustainable use of energy.
How about a voyage of discovery from the age of the dinosaurs all the way into the future? And to ensure that the youngest visitors don't miss anything, Lili the marmot will provide them with information in a fun way.
- CHF 27.00 Family combo (1 adult + children)
- CHF 45.00 Family combo (2 adults + children)
Tropengarten Restaurant at Tropenhaus Frutigen
Why travel to distant lands? At the Tropengarten Restaurant, the holiday atmosphere is guaranteed. A unique culinary experience awaits you amidst verdant greenery and the fragrance of exotic flowers. This is due not only to the tropical ambience, but also the Tropical Garden’s kitchen team: here the chefs are inspired afresh each day by the high-quality ingredients from the fish and caviar farm and the bounty of fruits and spices from the tropical garden. Tasty menus await you each day, and how about a romantic tête-à-tête for two people? Restaurant guests are also welcome without a visit to the exhibition.
- Kids adventure tour Various dates
- Children's birthday parties On request
- Schildkröten Wasch-und Wiegetag 7. März, 13. Juni und 10. Oktober 2021
- Ferienworkshop mit Lili und ihren Freunden im Regenwald 7. August 2021
- Kindertag 17 October 2021
Events im Restaurant Tropengarten
- Abend der offenen Verarbeitung 27. August 2021