The natural spectacle of Choleren Gorge
The 100-metre-long Choleren Gorge in Adelboden offers a majestic water spectacle.
Made accessible with bridges and steps, this rocky gorge allows you to experience the raging waters of the Tschenten stream as they pour forth into the deeply hollowed-out ravine.
Availability Today (Monday) open
1 June to 31 October 2022
Accessible daily. In case of heavy rainfall, however, the hike through the Cholerenschlucht should not be undertaken.
Subject to change without prior notice
Choleren Gorge can be accessed free of charge.
Bus from Frutigen to Achseten, Tregel stop, walk through the gorge, then re-board the bus at Adelboden, Ausserschwand stop and return to Frutigen.
The guest card includes the bus on the AFA line from/to Hirzboden.
Price, round-trip ticket
- CHF 20.60 Adults
- CHF 10.30 Half-Fare travelcard
- Free of charge Children*
- CHF 8.60 With Half-Fare travelcard
- CHF 16.80 Without Half-Fare travelcard
It is essential to enter using the lower access point in order to explore the gorge from bottom to top – this is safer and more impressive. Do not hike through the Choleren gorge in case of heavy rainfall.
The excursion to the Choleren Gorge can be perfectly combined with a visit to the Pochtenkessel, a deep rocky funnel where the waters of Engstligen and Otterebach meet. Since 2005, the Jungbrunnen (“Fountain of Youth”) has been open for swimming.
- Tregel–Choleren Gorge: 15 minutes
- Adelboden village–Choleren Gorge: 1 hour
- Choleren Gorge–Pochtenkessel: 20 minutes
- Choleren Gorge–Adelboden: 30 minutes
- Choleren Gorge–Ausserschwand bus stop: 20 minutes
- Choleren–Neuweg bus stop: 15 minutes
The Adelboden Alpine School offers regular abseiling adventures in the Choleren gorge in summer.