General instructions during the journey
General instructions during the journey
Passengers must remain seated in their car during the journey. Please follow all instructions of railway staff.
- Make sure any luggage on the roof rack is well secured or place it inside the vehicle.
- Please keep all four wheels on the same car transport carriage. It is not permitted to leave your vehicle when the train is in motion.
- Put your car into 1st gear or "Park".
- Turn the engine off.
- Apply the handbrake firmly.
- Tune your radio to 88.2 MHz (Lötschberg) for traffic and rail news from SRF 1.
- Do not throw cigarette ends or other objects out of the window.
- The transportation of hazardous goods is forbidden.
- Please close your convertible top before driving onto the car train.
- Do you have a soft-top convertible? Then please always park your vehicle in a covered car transport carriage. Many thanks.
Loading vehicles with bicycles
- Before you drive onto the car train, please ensure your load is safely secured.
- Does your vehicle have bicycles on the roof? Then please always park your vehicle in a covered car transport carriage. Many thanks.
Safety instructions public liatility insurance
The liability of BLS Ltd for damage to motor vehicles to be transported is limited, as detailed in Art. 27 of the Passenger Transport Act and Art. 76 of the Ordinance on Passenger Transport.
In an emergency
- Keep calm.
- Railway personnel will also be travelling on the train. Follow their instructions without fail.
- Never leave the train without being instructed to do so by the railway personnel.
- In an emergency dial 112.
- Tune your radio to 88.2 MHz (Lötschberg).
- The tunnel is equipped with emergency lighting. If you have no alternative than to leave the train, press the button next to the LED.
- In an emergency make your escape along the path at the edge of the tunnel in the direction indicated. There is a handrail to assist you.
- Never touch any hanging cables.
- All instances of damage must be reported immediately at the unloading station.
- Keep your ticket throughout your journey – it is proof of authorisation to travel.
Profiles of car transport carriages Dimensions
Cars, smaller types of coaches and lorries can board the train until a short time before departure. Large vehicles (coaches, lorries, camper vans), as well as motorbikes and bicycles must be ready for boarding 15 minutes before departure.
Car transport carriage – small profile
Car transport carriage – large profile
- Maximum weight: 28 tonnes. It is not permissible to exceed the profile specifications.
- It is not permissible to exceed the profile specifications.
- These car trains only run once an hour.
Please see the timetable for large vehicles with a total weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes.
Motorcycles & bicycles What is the loading procedure?
- Motorcycles and bicycles must be ready for loading 15 minutes before departure.
- Riders are personally responsible for securing their motorcycle or bicycle.
- Vehicles in the driving trailer must be properly parked and secured.
- Only remove fixings once the train has come to a halt
- Riders are personally responsible for unloading their vehicle.
- Kandersteg car transport station: open the driving trailer door and ride off the car train.
- BLS Ltd cannot accept any liability in the event that the loading instructions are not followed correctly.
- Mobile phone and car radio reception in the tunnel (Lötschberg) Radio SRF1: Lötschberg 88.2 MHz.
- Please follow all instructions of railway staff.
Self-service Lane motor vehicles up to 3.5t
For motor vehicles up to 3.5t and max. 9 seats without a trailer, with points card, annual season ticket and online tickets.
- Adhere to lane signs (see signs below).
- Drive up to the automatic ticket machine in the drive-through ticket booth
With a points card and annual season ticket
- Hold the points card or annual season ticket up to the marked spot for about three seconds.
- A receipt will be issued.
- Please take the receipt. The barrier will open automatically and you can drive on.
- Please retain the receipt for the duration of the journey. It serves as proof of your entitlement to travel.
With online tickets
- Hold your printed online ticket or mobile device with the QR code displayed up to the marked spot. Please make sure that the QR code is held still on the scanner and, for mobile devices, the screen is not rotated automatically.
- The barrier will open once the ticket has been validated. Please retain your ticket for the duration of the journey. It will serve as proof of your entitlement to travel.
in order to guarantee faster checking in of all customers using the Car Transport service, on busy days the self-service lane may be switched to a staffed car ticket vending booth. This will be clearly indicated on the signs.
Large vehicles What regulations apply?
Large vehicles must be ready for boarding 15 minutes before departure. Passengers remain in their vehicles during the journey.
Vehicles are only allowed to be transported if they are at the most
- 2.5m wide
- 12m long.
- 28t total weight
The following regulations apply to the passage
- All vehicles drive through the whole train.
- Retract or remove the wing mirror on the driver's side.
- Retract the wing mirror on the passenger side to the extent that you can only just see over the long side of the vehicle.
- Side antennas must be retracted at least until they are level with the vehicle roof, roof antennas have to be bent flat (fixed in place if required) or removed (due to the risk of them touching the overhead line when driving onto and off the car train).
- Transporting the vehicles is only permissible on carriages with full-length roofs.
Parking the vehicle on the car transport carriage
- Park the vehicle in the middle of a car transport carriage (even weight distribution).
- No other vehicle may be parked in front of the coach.
- It is forbidden to park the vehicle over two car transport carriages.
Information on disruptions to operations and large vehicles
- +41 58 327 41 21 08.00 – 12.00 hours, 14.00 – 16.30 hours