Ae 4/4 – historic locomotive
The locomotives delivered between 1944 and 1954 were the first modern four-axle locomotives with bogies that were able to achieve an output of 1,000 hp per axle. In this sense, the Ae 4/4 locomotives were the precursors of all modern four-axle high-performance locomotives.
- Ae 415 251 Designation formerly: Ae 4/4
- 1 Quantity
- 251 Number
- 1944 Put into service
Rail vehicle details technical data
History historic rail vehicle
The locomotives delivered by SLM and BBC between 1944 and 1954 were the first modern four-axle locomotives with bogies that were able to achieve an output of 1,000 hp per axle. In this sense, the Ae 4/4 locomotives were the precursors of all modern four-axle high-performance locomotives.
The Ae 4/4 locomotives were modernised over the years as follows:
- Replacement of step switches
- Replacement of main oil circuit breakers with main air blast circuit breakers
- Replacement of driver's brake valves
- Doubling of the output of the electric brake. The removal of a pantograph doubled the braking resistances on the roof and thus braking power as well
- Replacement of leaf springs for the suspension system with rubber springs
- Replacement of ventilation louvers with jet nozzle grilles
- Adhesion improvements through the use of a control cable powered by electricity from the traction motor – this put additional weight on the leading axles
Contact advice and assistance
We organise and drive the train while you celebrate and have fun
Whether it’s for 20 or as many as 2,000 guests, we can offer you modern and nostalgic trains, or even just a single carriage.
We take care of the catering and ambience, arrange live music or magician performances and even organise a festive reception at the train station at your destination if you'd like.