Le Chaumont: Neuchâtel’s local mountain
A richly varied family day out in nature
The ridge between Lake Neuchâtel and Val de Ruz is Neuchâtel’s local mountain. It is both a panoramic viewpoint, and a place for enjoyment and activity – fun, in fact, for the whole family.
The funicular railway takes you from Neuchâtel La Coudre to Chaumont in comfort. Once at the top, a few short steps is all it takes before you reach a large playground, a climbing park, a lookout tower, the starting point of the Time Trail, picnic and barbecue spots, and the Restaurant Petit Hotel.
- Coronavirus notice Please take note of the protection plan and any restrictions set by the provider.
The panorama tower offers an impressive view, reminiscent of an eagle’s eyrie at 1,200 metres above sea level. The view takes in the city of Neuchâtel, the Three-Lakes region, the Swiss Plateau and extends all the way to the majestic backdrop of the Alps.
Fun and games in the heart of wintry nature
With its exceptional location by the mountain station of the funicular railway, a visit to the “Parc Aventure” adventure park guarantees you plenty of fun and a splendid view of the lake. In winter, families with children will also be thrilled by the playground under the tall, snow-decked trees.
In this paradise for hikers, even in winter you still have the choice between a high-altitude walk with panoramic views towards Chasseral and Val-de-Ruz and leading you through a wonderful winter landscape, or a downhill walk towards Neuchâtel on the famous Sentier du Temps (time trail) hiking trail. The latter features wooden sculptures and invites you to travel through time to explore the evolution of life on Earth.
Availability Today (Monday) open
Operating times, Funiculaire de Chaumont
The funicular railway operates daily all year round in accordance with the timetable
Subject to change without prior notice
Prices for the funicular railway
- CHF 4.40 Adults Single ticket
- CHF 2.20 Reduced price Single ticket
Onde Verte single ticket 1-2 zones; valid for 1 hour
- Valid on all public transport for any number of journeys within the selected zones and period of validity.
- Exceptions: Short-distance tickets entitle the user only to single trips.
- Reduced price for Half-Fare travelcard holders, children aged from 6 to 16 and dogs (always second class).
- GA travelcard, Junior travelcard and Children’s Co-travelcard are valid
- CHF 38.00 Adults
- CHF 29.00 Adolescents 12 - 15.99 years
- CHF 25.00 Children 8 - 11.99 years
- CHF 19.00 Small children 4 - 7.99 years
The perfect addition for foodies: the “Funi Fondue” offer, with a ride on the Chaumont and a delicious fondue amidst the wonderful ambience of the Petit Hôtel.
You can also stay the night in the Petit Hotel. There are five charming rooms available.