Thun, the attractive shopping city in the Bernese Oberland
Shopping in Thun’s city centre with its historic flair, enjoyable restaurants and quaint markets.
The old town of Thun and the shopping island “Bälliz”, which is surrounded by the Aare river, are both within walking distance of Thun railway station. Shopping enthusiasts can expect an exceptional shopping experience with traditional craft shops, fashion boutiques, innovative ventures and well-known department and brand stores.
Shopping in Thun city centre
Browse, touch, smell, chat and get good advice: that’s shopping in Thun city centre. Thun is urban, yet quaint. The local merchants are excited to welcome all visitors.
Markets in Thun city centre
- Weekly market: every Wednesday and Saturday in Bälliz
- Fresh produce market: every Saturday morning in the town hall square
- Evening market: every Thursday from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. on the Waisenhausplatz (May to October)
- Seasonal markets and events in Thun city centre
Shopping and more
- All-weather shopping: Many buildings in the old town provide protection from rain. You can spend lots of time in large shopping centres such as Loeb, Schaufelberger, Manor, Coop, Migros and the “Aarezentrum” shopping centre.
- Typical specialities, gifts and giveaways from Thun can be found here: www.thuncity.ch/spezialitaeten
- Give the gift of Thun city centre! The THUNcity gift card fulfils every wish, be that sweet chocolates, a fragrant flower bouquet, a pair of chic sunglasses or a good restaurant.
Availability Today (Tuesday) open
Official shop opening hours in Thun city centre
Mon–Fri 09.00–18.30 hours (Thursday evening sales)
Sat 09.00–17.00 hours
Sun closed – the majority of the restaurants are open
Evening sales: every Thursday until 20.00 hours in Thun city centre
Please note the individual opening hours of each shop.
Opening hours before and on public holidays can be found here.
Subject to change without prior notice
Would you like to learn more about Thun’s traditional and innovative businesses?
Embark on the guided tour “Discovering the pearls of the old town.” On the 1.5-hour tour, you will visit shops in Thun’s city centre, be welcomed personally by the manager and receive insider stories first hand.
Food & drink
The restaurants, bars and cafés in Thun’s city centre invite you to linger and sample local delicacies.