Sunnbüel Freeride Trail
Running from Sunnbüel to Kandersteg, the Freeride Trail offers numerous jumps, banked turns and wooden ramps.
The majority of the 4,700-metre trail runs along the former Sunnbüel downhill ski run. The start is located directly by the Sunnbüel mountain station at 1,934 metres above sea level. It runs along the walking trail in some spots. Walkers thus also have the opportunity to watch the cyclists on this spectacular route.
Travel comfortably by train to Kandersteg. The bus will take you to the Sunnbüel valley station within 10 minutes.
Availability Today (Wednesday) open
Kandersteg-Sunnbüel aerial cableway, summer
27 May to 23 June 2023 09.00–17.00 hours
24 June to 13 August 2023 08.00–18.00 hours
14 August to 17 September 2023 08.30–17.00 hours
18 September to 29 October 2023 09.00–17.00 hours
Owing to the hunting season, the freeride trail is closed from 1 to 30 September each year.
Subject to change without prior notice
Kandersteg–Sunnbüel incl. bicycle transport / adults
- CHF 40.00 Day ticket
- CHF 32.00 5 hours card
- CHF 295.00 Season ticket Sunnbüel
Kandersteg–Sunnbüel incl. bicycle transport / children
- CHF 30.00 Day ticket
- CHF 25.00 5 hours card
- CHF 190.00 Season ticket Sunnbüel
Downhill mountain biking equipment rental prices
- CHF 90.00 Bike
- CHF 20.00 Protective gear
- CHF 20.00 Full-face helmet
Mountain bikes, e-bikes, protectors and bike helmets can be rented at Grossen Sport in Kandersteg.
No rental of "downhill" bikes and "full-face" helmets. The freeride trail can also be ridden with a good mountain bike.
*1/2 day from 1.30 pm
Prices in CHF incl. VAT / Prices and products subject to alteration
Deep-blue Lake Oeschinen lying in the UNESCO World Heritage Site, the hidden Arven lakes on Sunnbüel, and the inviting Allmenalp above its four waterfalls. It’s not only the MagicBlue Pass that raises the curtain on these three natural stages in Kandersteg. Because hotel guests can now also enjoy excursions to the magic of the Alps without any worries – from three overnight stays in Kandersteg, mountain transport is included in the price.
- MagicBlue-Pass 1 PASS, 2 LAKES, 3 CABLE CARS (Oeschinensee, Sunnbüel, Allmenalp)
- MagicBlue + From just 3 overnight stays, mountain transport is included in the price
The bike trail from Sunnbüel to Kandersteg is suitable for both crack downhill mountain bikers and all-round bikers.
- Description: downhill run with obstacles
- Length: approx. 4.7 km
- Elevation difference: 720 m
- Highlights: 25 jumps, 12 tables, 1 drop, 10 gaps, 105 steep turns, 1 wall, jump line and chicken run
- Liability: the Downhill Mountainbiking Association cannot accept any liability for accidents. The route rules must be complied with.
How to get there
Travel comfortably by train to Kandersteg. Bus no. 241 will take you to the Sunnbüel valley station within 10 minutes.